A better half to girls within the old international offers an interdisciplinary, methodologically-based number of newly-commissioned essays from favorite students at the research of girls within the historic world.
• the 1st interdisciplinary, methodologically-based selection of readings to handle the examine of ladies within the historic global
• Explores a extensive variety of issues in relation to ladies in antiquity, together with: Mother-Goddess idea; ladies in Homer, Pre-Roman Italy, the close to East; girls and the kin, the nation, and faith; gown and Adornment; lady Patronage; Hellenistic Queens; Imperial ladies; girls in overdue Antiquity; Early ladies Saints; and lots of extra
• Thematically prepared to stress the significance of old topics of continuity, improvement, and innovation
• Reconsiders a lot of the well known proof and preconceived notions with regards to girls in antiquity contains contributions from the various such a lot favorite students linked to the research of ladies in antiquity
Selected by way of selection as a 2013 remarkable educational Title
Awarded a 2013 PROSE Honorable point out as a unmarried quantity Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences
Read Online or Download A Companion to Women in the Ancient World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World, Volume 165) PDF
Similar women books
Have you needed your accomplice got here with an guideline book? This foreign bestseller is the reply to every thing you've ever puzzled concerning the contrary sex.
For their arguable new ebook at the modifications among the way in which women and men imagine and speak, Barbara and Allan Pease spent 3 years touring world wide, accumulating the dramatic findings of recent learn at the mind, investigating evolutionary biology, studying psychologists, learning social alterations, and tense the locals.
The result's a occasionally stunning, consistently illuminating, and regularly hilarious examine the place the conflict line is drawn among the sexes, why it used to be drawn, and the way to move it. learn this e-book and understand--at final! --why males by no means hear, why ladies can't learn maps, and why studying every one other's secrets and techniques potential you'll by no means need to make an apology back.
Marie Curie (1867-1934) used to be the most vital lady scientists in heritage, and he or she was once the most influential scientistsâ€”man or womanâ€”of the 20 th century. Curie postulated that radiation was once an atomic estate, a discovery that has ended in major clinical advancements considering the fact that. She was once additionally the 1st individual to exploit the time period radioactivity.
Girls and the Irish Diaspora appears on the altering nature of nationwide and cultural belonging either between girls who've left eire and those that stay. It identifies new methods of puzzling over Irish modernity through taking a look particularly at women's lives and their reports of migration and diaspora. in response to unique study with Irish girls either in eire and in England, this booklet explores how questions of mobility and stasis are recast alongside gender, type, racial and generational traces.
- The Singing Farm Women of Rural Indiana (1934-2009): A Depression Era Program of the U.S. Department of Agriculture
- The Female Brain
- Stereotypes and Self-Representations of Women with a Muslim Background: The Stigma of Being Oppressed
- Women in Grassroots Communication: Furthering Social Change
- Women and Magna Carta: A Treaty for Rights or Wrongs?
- Women and the Mafia
Extra resources for A Companion to Women in the Ancient World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World, Volume 165)
2 Introduction scholars benefit from being in conversation with each other, and we hope that this Companion offers not only opportunity for, but examples of, such conversation. We asked our contributors to foreground the problems of interpreting the evidence, and they have done so with a wide range of approaches, demonstrating the diversity of methods available for studying women in antiquity. The essays here that study textual evidence offer treatments theoretical, historical, literary, epigraphical, and papyrological, on a broad scale of subjects.
It also features a large forehead panel embellished with fringes terminating in miniature pomegranates. In Nimrud’s Tomb III, yet a third type of crown was found on a child’s skull. Sized to fit an adult (perhaps indicating a future privilege assured by birthright), this elaborate headdress incorporates tiers of pomegranates, flowers, winged female figures, and leafy vines from which tiny grape clusters dangle. Juxtaposed with the codified dress of the Neo-Assyrian court, the variety of headdresses in the Queens’ Tombs would have differentiated the women, perhaps according to age, ethnicity, status, king’s reign, or other variables.
In Puabi’s Tomb 800, and indeed across the cemetery, almost all of the bodies belonged to adults, indicating that age, and 14 Women Outside Athens and Rome IMAGE NOT AVAILABLE IN THIS ELECTRONIC EDITION Women in Ancient Mesopotamia 15 IMAGE NOT AVAILABLE IN THIS ELECTRONIC EDITION perhaps initiation into a group, dictated participation in these death rites, the circumstances of which remain unclear (Baadsgaard et al. 2011). The sacrificed attendants at Ur included both men and women. For the most part, gender has been assigned according to particular objects or types of adornment that were present in conjunction with inscriptions naming an individual, or with bones well enough preserved to identify sex.